Friday, August 29, 2008

Virus alert: Western Union MTCN #0559760778

I noticed in my OzEfilter log this email starting to appear more frequently so decided to receive one into my email. It was not detected as containing malware by the anti-virus software when received. However when I saved the file to my Desktop the anti-virus software quarantined the file and that is a good sign.

The attached file in this case was named MT77232.zip.

The process I have been using to test these attachments is to save the file to my Desktop and then scan the file using my anti-virus software. I've found over the years anti-virus software leaves a window of opportunity from the time the virus is released into the wild until the anti-virus software companies get the updates out to users. This process can be a number of days.

To check the file because it really is obvious to me it is malware based on coming from someone I don't know with a subject that is obvious it has nothing to do with me I then check the file by sending the file to the online scanning service. The scanning service is run by one of the anti-virus companies and they use it to receive feedback from users and improve their product. (You can find details of the service in MyAnswers solution 1890 which can be found on the MyAnswers solutions page I maintain on virus, spyware/adware and spam.)

In this case the file was found to be malware so there is no need to submit the file to the online virus scanning service.

I've found in every case that I can recall with a virus infection that a user has initiated the infection by running a program. In most cases this is via an attachment in an email, but also by clicking on a link on a web page. Only once have I seen an infection occur by going to a web site and this issue was fixed when Internet Explorer SP2 came out. So in essence whilst the virus writers are an enormous nuisance, in order for the virus to infect our computers it requires our assistance. In effect virus writers use a bit of psychology to trick us into helping them take that final step. Treat every email you receive (even from family and friends), and particularly emails with attachments and links with suspicion and you will go a long way in protecting yourself from infection your computer.

Also don't assume because something comes from a friend or a work colleague that it is clean. They could have easily been tricked and either sent something on, or their infected computer could be sending it to you as though it was from them.

Please take care.

- Kelvin

No comments:

Post a Comment