Friday, December 19, 2008

Get the gift of search this festive season from the Google AdSense team

I just received an email with the subject Get the gift of search this festive season from the Google AdSense team.

Now here is the problem. I've never received an email from Google using this mailing address. There is actually not a single link to Google in the email.

Now this might not be unusual and this email may be bona fide. Many businesses use mailing list services.

However what I don't like about mailing list services, is they track your activities and they can apparently track the activities of others you may forward the emails on to. I really don't want to pass information on to others where they are not aware they are being tracked.

For me it doesn't matter how good this information may be, it is straight into the bin. This could easily be a phishing email and since I can't readily tell, I'd prefer to be safe than sorry.

Safe computing practices is often the only thing that will save you from malicious emails. If in doubt, hit the delete button.

Have a festive season and don't get tricked by the festive season emails.

- Kelvin

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this article.
    I'm with you on this one... I received the same email in my gmail inbox and was also instantly suspicious. after a quick Google and finding your blog, I sent it straight to the Spam folder using the "report as Spam" button.
    You would think that if it is a genuine email, Google of all entities should know better.

    Namaste Thor
    http://thor.hammaraxx.com

    ReplyDelete