Friday, January 22, 2010

ATM skimming

Recent articles in the press about ATM skimming and Card skimming had me wondering about the exposure and how the skimming was being carried out. My concern is I've heard of thousands of people's accounts being potentially compromised. None of the articles I read in the press provided any information which would help me determine how skimming works.

As it turns out, when your card is being scanned, a second scanner attached to the ATM also scans the card. In addition the pin needs to be captured. To most people the skimmer just looks like part of the device.

This article from the Commonwealth Bank provides some excellent information including pictures of the equipment being used.

Recently it has been reported in the press that skimmers have managed to steal millions. What concerned me is recent skimming was being done at McDonald's. I don't know how they could be doing that as every McDonald's I've been to, use handheld scanners and not ATM machines. One article I read alleged the keypad was being replaced. If true, and the keypad unit was identical, there would be almost no way for a consumer to know their account details and pin had been skimmed.

Thanks to the Commonwealth Bank for the article as it helps on what to watch out for.

Kelvin

Tags: ATM card, ATM machine, ATM machines, card skimming, ATM skimming

No comments:

Post a Comment