Sunday, June 20, 2010

Luggage Suitcases Scale - Avoid Excess Baggage

Every now and then you see an item you just have to have. For me it was a luggage scale. When I think back about how embarrassing it was in an airport moving luggage from one suitcase to another, to get the weight right, I wish I had a luggage scale then.

The problem when travelling is the luggage gets heavier as you go along. What started as a suitcase meeting the baggage allowance can soon creep up resulting in bags being too heavy, or unpleasant excess baggage charges. Often if two or more people are travelling together, one bag may be over and others may be under. By moving items between suitcases when packing, it is often possible to have suitcases meet luggage restrictions, or avoid excess baggage fees.

How then can you easily determine how much each suitcase weighs?

With a luggage scale of course.

I actually didn't know such a device existed. The luggage scale has a digital display built into a handle which you hold, with a hook attached for lifting the luggage. The luggage scale beeps when it has determined the weight of the luggage. Weighing only 90 grams the luggage scale doesn't add to much weight to your luggage.

On the next trip I'll certainly be taking a luggage scale with me.

One topic that has come up recently is discount airlines may be reducing baggage allowances, which enables them to charge excess baggage to generate additional profit. People often only look at the price of the ticket, so it is easy to miss additional charges such as excess baggage, that might not be excess baggage on another airline. You should check each airline's baggage allowance. I saw one airline with great prices, but when I checked further, once you added up all the additional charges. their prices didn't look so good.

For those interested in a luggage scale it is available for $19.95 plus postage and handling. To me that's an excellent price for an item which will give me peace of mind when I next check in some luggage.

Kelvin Eldridge

No comments:

Post a Comment