Friday, December 10, 2010

An Apple iPad for Christmas, keep an eye on the press with rumours of a new iPad early next year

If you're thinking of getting an Apple iPad for Christmas keep in mind there are rumours circulating that Apple looks like they'll release the next version of the iPad around February. Based on a yearly update cycle you could expect a new updated iPad around April.

The interesting thought here is Apple has to stay ahead of the pack and April is a long time out, plus we also have the added delay of new product reaching Australia after the US. That's a lot of time for Android to chip away at Apple's fantastic lead.

I spent a moment the other checking the responsiveness of the Samsung Galaxy Tab and it was pretty responsive. It was a pity it was locked to the counter as I wanted to try it out in landscape model. The outright price of the Samsung unit in my opinion disadvantages it against the Apple. But the smaller form factor appeals to me because the iPhone is too small when it comes to reading articles on the net. With Samsung and Android units getting great exposure, Apple needs to keep moving fast.

In a sense Apple of others are creating the situation where if we wait there'll be a new model out pretty soon. That has to hurt sales. With computers you'd spend the money and keep them running for 3-4 years or more. With mobile devices what is sold today won't even get a mention in 12 months time and may not run the applications you want to run. That means you have to write off the purchase price in a year and I think people will soon get sick of spending $500-$1,000 a year once the novelty wears off. Yes I wanted an iPad and almost bought one the other day, but in the end it didn't do all the things I wanted it to do, so I continue to use my unfashionable netbook. At least I'm getting a good return on my investment.

Apple to their credit create must have products. You often don't need them, but we convince ourselves we must have them. That to me is amazing marketing and so I take my hat off to Apple. In the end however once you overcome that must have desire and a bit of logic returns, it is good to make decisions which take into account how long it took to make that hard earned money so you get better value for your buck.

As to whether or not a new Apple iPad late February is anyone's guess. I'd probably guess there will be the announcement of the new model in February to keep the interest going until the next model is released. As to actual product being available. Your guess is as good as anyone's.

Kelvin Eldridge
MyAnswers solutions for the Apple iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment