Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Posting pictures to Twitter from an iPhone a hassle

Today I attended a cloud data storage seminar. To make the seminar interesting the organisers had organised a treasure hunt where you took pictures of six objects and post the pictures using Twitter. I'd previously used Twitter but didn't find it offered me much value at the time. I decided to give the competition a go. Take a couple of pictures during the breaks, what could be easier.

As it turned out it was amazingly difficult. Taking the pictures was easy. Setting up a Twitter account was easy. But Tweeting the pictures didn't work with Twitter's app on the iPhone which took quite some time to isolate and identify. Trying another app showed the Twitter app was the issue. However even this second app only worked for every second picture and the other pictures had to be done again. To ensure it worked I needed to double check all tweets as others would see them. That should not be necessary.

I thought this was a particularly poor experience with Twitter and something I'll avoid exposing my clients to. For me this was a real time waster. I'd have given up, but I felt knowing what was going wrong would enable me to assist clients in the future if they experienced a similar problem.

If you are going to add technologies to your client interaction it is a good idea to test it yourself and also on others around you first. Make sure the technology is easy to use and doesn't get in the way of your message.


- Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment