Friday, June 10, 2011

Travelsure insurance by Covermore insurance

Recently we travelled to Western Australia. To see the places we wanted to see we hired a car from Avis. When hiring a car there is an excess which in this case was $3,017.03. We could reduce this excess by paying a fee of $35.35 a day. For our trip we needed the car for 16 days adding $565.50 which was a considerable extra charge.

A technique I use when travelling overseas and need to rent a car is to purchase travel insurance with cover for the rental car excess. This can save a lot of money and covers the excess. I decided to use the same technique for travelling in Australia.

I contacted an insurance broker I knew and asked for a quote. The price was $150 and whilst I only wanted the insurance to cover the car excess, that saved over four hundred dollars. The insurance was Travelsure by Covermore. It was actually quite difficult to complete the insurance process as the broker said Covermore required a form to be completed and signed. Given I was travelling and had no access to a printer, it took about an hour to create a replica of the form complete with signature which was acceptable. If I hadn't known the broker I would have looked elsewhere.

I have access to a number of companies I'm able to advertise, so I decided to check to see if I could find an insurance company which could provide a better rate. I found 1Cover.

1cover Travel Insurance


I entered the information for a quote and found I could have obtained insurance for $113.10 which would have saved another $37, so it is good to shop around. In addition, if there was only one driver I could have obtained travel insurance for $58. The broker never provided that option so it really is a matter of looking after your own interests.

1Cover is underwritten by Allianz which provides confidence in that I've heard of Allianz. I should add I haven't used this company and I'm simply making the information available. Had I found this company at the time I would have given them a go.

Kelvin Eldridge
http://www.justlocal.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment