Friday, September 21, 2012

Apple iOS 6 maps test

Today I tested the Apple iOS 6 maps app. I used my current location and then a location in Sydney Road Fawkner.

Three routes were provided. The is another route I would normally consider, but route 1 which used the Ring Road, is the one I should use and was suggested. My only hesitation is the roadworks that have been going on for years.

I wanted to see if the turn-by-turn navigation was available and it was. At the start it was too slow and if I took its advice I would have missed a turn at a roundabout. It then started to pick up and kept pace with me. The instructions then for when to turn was good. Of course I knew where I was going so I wasn't really dependent.

When in Perth last year we left our hotel and a freeway was about 5km away. It was well after I'd turned into the freeway the app caught up so the app was no help in terms of location, but still a handy map. The maps were also out of date because we had to turn at an intersection where there were lights and the map had a roundabout.

In terms of traffic flow I lost confidence in the old app when I was at a dead stop on the Ring Road once and the app showed traffic was flowing well. The new app doesn't appear to show traffic flow.

Overall I find iPhone maps to be very handy. Apple is copping a lot of flack with their new app. For me it is just different. I lose some features and I gain others.

For example I felt the new app tracked me better and was clearer to read with larger text. Now whilst it didn't matter to me, the new app lets me use the maps in landscape as well as portrait. I noticed once the old app didn't do that.

I have no doubt there will be things I don't like and other things I do. Most people don't like change so expect to read a lot of criticisms. My suggestion is try it for yourself and make up your own mind.


Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
Call 0415 910 703 if you require help with your computer.
No problem too small.

3 comments:

  1. Today I tested Apple Maps going from Templestowe to Croydon. The route 2 suggested by Apple Maps was to go along Falkoner Road, left at Ringwood-Warrandyte Road and then right into Kendall Road. Unfortunately Kendall Road is blocked at Ringwood-Warrandyte Road and thus this route would not work. I then wen off route and reconnected further down the route a couple of kilometres. I know the area so this wasn't hard for me. Also the map is available for you to manually determine an alternate route if necessary. However it is poor for a mapping system to offer a route which doesn't work.

    A check of Google Maps shows they did not suggest this route.

    Kelvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tested a route from the Eastern Freeway to Toorak today. Apple Maps provided a number routes. One of which is the route I would have selected. To be fair to Apple Maps I didn't just want to show when it doesn't work. In this case it did work.

    The one problem I have found with using the iPhone 3GS when getting close to destination is quite often it is too slow and it is very easy to miss your turn or the location you wish to get to.

    Kelvin Eldridge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tested Apple maps yesterday going to Glen Waverley. Route couldn't be determined. Just checked Google maps web app and it could determine a route, although the route still wasn't the best in two sections.

    Kelvin

    ReplyDelete