Monday, April 15, 2013

Alert: You've Been Selected For the 2013 Worldwide Who's Who Registry

I've received a number of emails with the subject "You've Been Selected For the 2013 Worldwide Who's Who Registry" sent to different public email addresses I use.

The body of the message starts with the following.

Congratulations Kelvin ,
You were recently chosen as a potential candidate to represent 2013 Worldwide Who's Who.

Congratulations Fellow Consumer ,
You were recently chosen as a potential candidate to represent 2013 Worldwide Who's Who.

This is most likely a scam and I'd suggest deleting these emails. In the emails you'll notice a number of typos. Notice the extra space after my name and before the comma. There are other obvious errors in the email. Interestingly the second example didn't include my name but a generic salutation and I wondered why. The main page for that site doesn't include my name and in fact I don't provide contact details because it is a site I use to provide answers to problems to my clients. Hence the email addresses are being harvested from the internet along with the names and when they can't find the names they use a generic salutation.

These emails are designed to appeal to people's vanity. Don't get tricked. You should delete these emails.

Kelvin Eldridge
Online Connections
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
Call 0415 910 703 for computer support.
Servicing Templestowe, Doncaster, Eltham and the surrounding area.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for crushing my dreams to be in a who's who list Kelvin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Kelvin,

    apparently they have noticed your comments, I do not see any typos in the message addressed to me!

    Hannie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got a letter like this through snail mail today. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. received a letter today telling me I had been selected as a biographical candidate to represent ..
    They have been obviously harvesting information from LinkedIn or similar.
    I'm trating it as a scam. Thanks for the heads up!!

    ReplyDelete