Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Is Windows Defender built into Windows 8 good enough?

I regularly test new malware and in the past I found Microsoft's Security Essentials to be very good compared with other antivirus programs. In fact I found it significantly better than other products and would recommend Security Essentials to clients.

More recently I've become a little concerned with Microsoft's Windows Defender antivirus solution built into Windows 8. Now the antivirus software is built into Windows 8, Microsoft has to make sure it is leading edge. Unfortunately from what I can see is it not leading edge.

Today around six and half hours ago I received an email with the subject "Australian Taxation Office - Refund Notification" which had malware attached. Microsoft at this time does not detect the malware even though quite a few other programs do.

In addition Windows Defender was updated nearly 10 hours ago and I had to manually apply the latest update, something which most users will not know how to do.

Overall if Microsoft are serious about protecting users, they need to improve their performance in this very important area.

Kelvin Eldridge
Online Connections
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
Call 0415 910 703 for computer support.
Servicing Templestowe, Doncaster, Eltham and the surrounding area.

No comments:

Post a Comment