Friday, November 29, 2013

Smartraveller site and advertising links a need to register and travel insurance which isn't necessary.

I was quite surprised to see on TV last night an advertisement which implied people needed to register on the government's Smartraveller site with an implied connection to travel insurance. I just felt this was quite misleading.

I consider travel insurance to be a must when travelling overseas. Don't just take what is offered by the travel agent or they'll sting you. You can save hundreds by shopping around. Do check what the insurance offers/covers, because people may be surprised that some of those activities you're looking forward to may not be covered.

I noticed a well known credit card bragging about their travel insurance and shortly after I'd checked the free travel insurance you get with the credit card, I was approached in a shopping centre by a person flogging the card and saying how good their insurance was. However to me the level of cover was totally inadequate. Much to my surprise the credit card I currently have has excellent travel insurance cover so no additional cover may possibly be needed as long as I purchase everything using the credit card. However, before travelling I'll still want to make sure I'm covered to the level I think I'm covered for with the credit card. Insurance companies are always looking for ways to minimise making a payout, so make sure you understand what you are covered for.

As for registering and subscribing to the government's Smartraveller website, I just don't see the need and there is certainly no connection to the travel insurance you decide on.

By the way, don't trust those ads you see for cheap travel insurance when searching on the internet . I checked some out and their cheap offers to find they were nearly double what I could find elsewhere. You'll find after you search for travel insurance, ads keep popping up because that's how Google works. You a tracked for what you search for and as you move from site to site, sites displaying Google advertising will show you ads relating to what you've searched for, often many hours after you performed your search. Many people get freaked by this online tracking. As long as you are aware it's OK, but if you aren't, you may just get tricked with one of those overpriced "cheap" travel insurance offers.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.JustLocal.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment