Saturday, February 08, 2014

Where can I check the registration status of my car in Victoria?

As from the 1st of January 2014 VicRoads have discontinued registration labels for light vehicles including passenger cars. This is a concern because it means there is no longer and quick and easy visual way to check when your registration is due.

I can see a lot of people getting fined for not having a registered car. If you think this won't happen, I once didn't get a registration renewal from VicRoads and had no idea I was driving an unregistered car. Letters do go missing so if it happened to me, it could happen to you. Luckily I was not pulled up and was also not in an accident. The first I knew the car was not registered is when I rang to complain I hadn't received a renewal notice.

As usual the government puts the onus on you and not their systems. That's a great cop out for them but doesn't help you if you're caught with an unregistered car, or worse, you are in an accident and your insurance won't pay because your car is not registered.

Keep in mind if you want to check when your car registration is due, VicRoads does provide an online tool to enable you to check. You can find the tool at vre.vicroads.vic.gov.au.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.JustLocal.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment