Saturday, November 08, 2014

Postal vote application form Victoria. When is a scam not a scam? When it is legal.

Postal vote applications forms for the coming Victorian election are now being received in the mail by Victorians. Most people will be totally unaware they are not from the Electoral Commission, but are actually from the political parties.

People don't realise if they use these forms and send them to the address provided, the information can be collected by the political party and used for marketing purposes.

Today I was asked to witness a form. I asked the person if they were happy for the Labor Party to receive all their details including name, address, date of birth for marketing purposes, given they'd only ever vote for the Liberal Party. This was not received well. This further concerns me because the signature of the person is provided as are the details including signature of the witness.

I said I'd send them the link for what I consider is the only postal vote application form people should use. Don't use a form you receive in the mail. Check the form and the address and you'll see it is going to end up the in the hands of a political party and you may not wish to provide those details for marketing purposes.

https://www.vec.vic.gov.au/Voting/PostalVoting.html

Pass this information on to your family and friends. I was almost tricked by these forms last election and went to pass them on to a family friend thinking I was helping. Luckily I realised before the person collected the form, that I would have inadvertently where I would have exposed their personal information to be harvested for marketing purposes by a political party.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.JustLocal.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment