Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Alert: Mauricio Prinzlau - Cloudwards - World Backup Day 2015 Infographic email.

I received an email from Mauricio Prinzlau from Cloudwards regarding an infographic for World Backup Day 2015. The email read:

Hi Kelvin,

I recenty came across your coverage of World Backup Day, and as you may know, it's celebrated every year on March 31st. As such, I thought our unique 12390px long infographic can be usefull to you.

We've gathered interesting statistics and facts about backup and the cloud, alongside listing the best practices for backing up data properly.

Now I did publish a blog post for a previous World Backup Day (http://justlocal.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/world-backup-day-march-31st.html). I've also written a utility people can use to to back up their data (www.onlineconnections.com.au/mybackup/). No cost involved. Just use the tool I provide. So I did recall the earlier post and the email appeared to have something to do with World Backup Day. Perhaps it was from the organisers.

Then I became suspicious. The email address they'd used was an email address I don't publish anywhere. Of course. This is just spam marketing. These people have obtained a marketing list and are just spamming people who may have referenced World Backup Day in the past.

It really is getting to the point that nearly every email and blog comment you receive is spam. Such a pity where this world has got to. I suggest to others to treat every email that is requesting some action on your part for assistance as suspicious. Many people get tricked as I have in the past. With time we all get better at picking the spammers and scammers.

You should delete such emails.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
Call 0415 910 703 for IT support.

No comments:

Post a Comment