Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Can't send an SMS in Skype on the iPhone.

I have to admit Microsoft for me has destroyed the Skype experience. Skype was an exceptionally useful application on the iPhone but now I find it frustrating. Over the years I've found Microsoft for me has been destroying my experience and satisfaction across all their products, so I suppose I shouldn't really be surprised. To put this in context I was a die hard Microsoft user for decades so it disappoints me to see Microsoft so often shooting themselves in the foot.

I have very little need to use Skype locally, as my mobile phone plan means it isn't necessary. However when I travel Skype comes in very handy for calls and sending SMS messages.

I went to send an SMS message to a mobile number not in my contacts. There's no option to just send an SMS message. That's pretty useless. Such a basic feature has been removed. Imagine not being able to send an SMS message on a mobile phone simply by entering the number. You'd never buy such a phone.

To get around this issue with Skype you need to first call the mobile number and then quickly hang up. Go to the recent calls, select the number and now you can send an SMS. As crazy as it sounds this works.

I hold out hope that one day Microsoft will again focus on the needs of the users, or at least the needs of this particular user, which I'm sure are similar to many others.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
Call 0415 910 703 for IT support.


No comments:

Post a Comment