Tuesday, February 23, 2016

New voltage drop calculator web app.

We all have hobbies so I thought I'd share one of my hobbies which is investigating the use of 12V systems to replace 240V around the home. The more you learn about the topic the more you realise there's more you don't know.

One problem I've encountered recently is working out the size of cable I need. The problem is I want the cable to run from the shed to the house which is about 20m. Whilst I'd not consider this a long distance, when it comes to 12V systems, the distance makes a significant difference because of what is called the voltage drop. Performing repeated what if's for voltage drop on various sizes of cable and current means it is better to create a spreadsheet, or in my case, what I do is create a web app. I create web apps for myself, but if others find them useful that's good too. I call the web app the Voltage Drop Calculator.

Since using the Voltage Drop Calculator I am now more realistic about the size of what I feel is a cost effective cable and thus what this means in terms of the power of devices I can realistically run. The problem is the higher the current, the greater the voltage drop and in some cases too great a voltage drop means the appliance may not work. One way to overcome the voltage drop is to increase the size of the cable. Unfortunately that means the cable increases in cost, which means I need to consider whether or not the investment in cable will be returned in electricity savings.

The good thing about having to think about cable size and voltage drop is you then think about how best to use your money. Spending money on a cable that may only be required once a month, as compared to a lighter cable used daily, makes you think about the cost versus the return. The cable to the house will offer convenience, but for those times requiring more current, I can always do that in the shed.

If 12V systems interest you and you think the voltage drop calculator might assist, check out the Voltage Drop Calculator at www.VoltageDropCalculator.com.au.

Kelvin Eldridge

No comments:

Post a Comment