Thursday, February 16, 2017

TPG. No indication a voicemail has been received.

I've been using the TPG mobile service for a number of years. A while ago I retired the old iPhone and moved to a very inexpensive Huawei. Whilst the Android/Huawei phone has some gremlins, overall, for the very low cost ($99 on special at Coles), it's hard to complain.

However, one thing I have noticed is, if I'm on a call and someone rings and they go to voicemail, I don't get any notification that they've called and left a message. No beeps in the background. No text message. Nothing. Nada. Zip. It isn't until next time I check the voicemail I realise someone else has called, perhaps a few days ago. That's really not acceptable.

I couldn't help feeling there must be a setting that I need to change. There it was. If you call 1218 on your mobile you set the option to receive a text message if a voicemail is received.

Are you getting notified of voicemails when you're already talking on the mobile? It's a good idea to do the following test to see.

1. Make a call from your mobile. I called my home phone.

2. Whilst chatting, make a call from a second phone to your mobile. The call should go to voicemail if voicemail is enabled. Leave a message and hang up the second phone.

3. Now go back to your mobile and complete that call.

4. You should receive some form of notification that a call has been left. If not, investigate your mobile service provider's options and see if you can turn on a text message alert when a voicemail is left.

A separate issue is sometimes I've heard people say, "I've been calling you" and they expect somehow you're supposed to know. When questioned it turns out they call but don't leave a message. If the person they're calling is on another call there's no way for the person to know they've called. There's nothing in the log, no message, so no indication anyone has called. If you want someone to know you've called, it may be a good idea to leave a message.


Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
IT support.


No comments:

Post a Comment